Nashville Striders Board of Directors Scholarship Announcement
During 2015 the Nashville Striders Board of Directors has implemented a college scholarship program as an addition to our list of member benefits. The winners of the scholarships for the 2016-2017 school year, Madi Nunn and Rachel Tudor, have been awarded their scholarships!
Current high school seniors can apply for the 2017 - 2018 scholarship between January 15 and March 15, 2017. Applicants must be graduating High School seniors seeking to further their education at a university, college or technical school.
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be Individual or Family members of Nashville Striders in good standing for at least one calendar year.
- Submit a complete application with a signed endorsement by a parent or legal guardian.
- Be a graduating High School senior.
- Provide evidence of involvement in or commitment to running/walking related activities.
- Supply letters of recommendation or reference from coach, trainer or someone familiar with your running/walking activities involvement or commitment.
- Submit an application and all related documents to Nashville Striders Scholarship Committee during enrollment period January 15th through March 15th for the upcoming school year. All application materials must be received by the Nashville Striders by March 15th.
The Striders Board of Directors has established a Scholarship Committee composed of Jerry Marcec, Peggy Stanfield and Bill Cohen. They will receive, review and evaluate all applications and recommend qualified candidates to the Board of Directors for awarding of the scholarships. We will issue up to 2 scholarships per year in an aggregate dollar amount of up to $2,000. Criteria for differentiating applicants are listed below.
EVALUATION CRITERIA (no particular priority):
- Satisfactory academic achievement to be judged by Nashville Striders Scholarship Committee
- Essay content
- Extent of volunteer participation in Nashville Striders events
- Coach’s and references’ recommendations
- Participation in running/walking related activities
- Participation in other extracurricular activities
- Consideration to first time applicant(s)
- Interviews may be requested at the discretion of the Scholarshp Committee.
Funding of this program will be reviewed periodically. The number of scholarships awarded and scholarship amounts will depend on budgetary limits and the number of qualified applicants. Scholarship winners will be announced the first part of May. Approved awards will be for the next university, college or technical school year. If approved, a scholarship check will be issued in the applicant’s name to the Bursar’s Office of the university, college or technical institution applicant is accepted to attend. Children of Nashville Striders Board members shall be eligible for scholarships, but if their children apply, those Board members will be excluded from voting upon the scholarships.
Click here for fillable application (link will be activated when the 2017-2018 school year application is available)
If you have questions, please contact Jerry Marcec, Peggy Stanfield or Bill Cohen or send an email to email@example.com.